Value Added Services
This page contains useful information for other K-12 services provided by AEA Purchasing's food program.
Vitamin D and Children
Meg's Memos - Jan. 20, 2017
Child Nutrition Programs - Jan. 26, 2017
The goal of the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act is to improve child nutrition throughout the United States. Take this short, multiple-choice "quiz" to test your knowledge of child nutrition programs and the impact they have on childhood hunger and obesity.
National Cherry Month - Feb. 2, 2017
February is National Cherry Month. This powerhouse of a fruit offers an array of nutrients and health benefiting compounds, including dietary fiber, potassium, vitamin C, carotenoids, anthocyanins and melatonin. Learn more about the health benefits of cherries here.
Sweet Potatoes - Feb.9, 2017
Meg's Memos-Feb. 17, 2017
Trans fats and partially hydrogenated oils - Feb. 23, 2017
School Breakfast Week - Mar. 1, 2017
January 2017 Smart Snack List
*To access Smart Snack Calculator supporting documentation, please contact Meg Thompson, email@example.com, for the link.
2017 ServSafe Training from AEA Purchasing
Class dates & locations will be announced in April via email. Classes are FREE to AEA Purchasing Members!
- Nine classes will be provided across the state of Iowa, June-August 2017
- Class is 8:30am-5pm, including the certification exam (two hours allowed for exam)
- Photo ID is required to take certification exam
- Lunch is not provided--please bring a sack lunch with you to class
- Minimum of 15 attendees is required (class size is limited to 35 attendees)
- Study tools will be provided via email
- ServSafe book is not provided; ServSafe exam answer sheet is provided
- ServSafe Manager Book 6th Edition (text book only) is available for purchase for $50.50 on the ServSafe website: http://www.servsafe.com/access/ss/Catalog/ProductList/5
- Registration is a first come, first serve basis. Please plan to register in April once dates & locations are released.
- You may register via phone, email or U.S. mail.
- Non-members: training only (no exam) is $75 & training with certification exam is $150
Class Options Include:
- Training Only: provides six hours of education to apply towards professional standards (summary of requirements: http://www.fns.usda.gov/sites/default/files/cn/profstandards_flyer.pdf).
"Hours of Training" certificate provided upon completion.
- Training with Certification Exam: meets Certified Food Protection Manager (CFPM) requirements. A minimum score of 75% is required to be certified. Certification is valid for five years.
Class Content Covers:
- The Importance of Food Safety
- Good Personal Hygiene
- Time & Temperature Control
- Preventing Cross-Contamination
- Cleaning & Sanitizing
- Safe Food Preparation
- Receiving & Storing Food
- Methods of Thawing, Cooking, Cooling & Reheating Food
- HACCP (Hazard Analysis & Critical Control Points)
- Food Safety Regulation